Consider this the recipe of the week! You guys, this No-Rise Slow Cooker Basil Pesto Bread is where it’s at! I made this deliciousness after seeing one of those little videos on Facebook. Let’s break it down. Yeast, sugar, water, flour, olive oil and pesto. That’s it. It was the perfect recipe for this busy mommy, who had her neighborhood Wine Club to go to, where we all bring a bottle of wine and an appetizer/food to bring. I just let my stand mixer and crock pot do all the work. What’s even better is that this is a no-rise bread. So that means it was literally the easiest prep and cooking every. Warning: my pictures are terrible.
First, throw the ingredients into your mixer. Let it do the kneading for you! Then you just throw the dough into your crock pot that has been lined with parchment paper. Throw a little dried parsley and kosher salt on top to make it fancy!
After 2 hours, remove the bread and put it on a baking pan and throw it in the oven on broil to brown up the top (aka make it look like you spent a lot of time and effort on it).
Wait for it to cool before you slice in to it! The flavor is so good! It would be delicious served with a garlic butter, plain butter, or even olive oil and vinegar dipping sauce.
Note: I have tried it with both white flour, and whole wheat flour. It’s delicious both ways. But, white flour is better. If using whole wheat flour, add more pesto—the whole wheat flour almost overpowers the flavor of the pesto.
Recipe (from Diethood.com):
2 1/4 tsp or 1 envelope, active dry yeast
1 tbsp. sugar
1 1/2 cups lukewarm water (about 105 degrees F)
3 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup prepared basil pesto
1 teaspoon salt
dried parsley, for topping
kosher salt, for topping
1. Line a 6 quart slow cooer with parchment paper and set asidel
2. Place yeast and sugar in a large mixing bowl; stir to combine.
3. Add water and continue to stir until combined.
4. Add flour, olive oil, basil pesto, and salt; stir until combined and a shaggy dough begins to form.
5. Turn out dough onto a floured working surface and knead for 5 minutes until dough is soft and smooth. If dough is sticky, add a bit more flour, about a tablespoon at a time.
6. Place ball of dough in prepared slow cooker.
7. Top with dried parsley and salt.
8. Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 hours, or until golden on bottom. Internal temperature should read 200 degrees F.
9. Remove bread from slow cooker together with parchment paper and place on a baking sheet.
10. Put under the broiler for 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
11. Remove from oven and set on a cooling rack.
12. Let cool for 20 to 30 minutes.
13. Cut and serve.